Re: [TowerTalk] ELEVATED GUY

To: ChetMoore <ChetMoore@cox.net>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
To: pvrc@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ELEVATED GUY
From: "J. Hector Garcia XE2K" <hector@telecom1.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:24:32 PDT
Chet:

I have in one of my towers (the biggest, 135ft) 3 elevated guy anchors,  was
the only way to put this tower, i have several  buildings in the proporty, is a
city lot, other things   like trees and some fences give not much clearence for
the guys.
here is my case,   i need some good  and strong  anchor , my area is very
popular for earthquakes  the separation less than 80% from the tower base.  i
use   pipes 6.5 inch diameter  1/4 inche wall .  17  and 15 ft long each., i
put 2  pipe welded at the tallest anchor pipe (17),  5 ft deep  in a big hole,
in a inverted mushroom shape, 2 cubic meter at least in each hole of concrete ,
several rebars welded in the pipe to give structural strengt  to the concrete ,
this works in 2 anchors, in the 3rd i use a big H beam , 10x18x10 inches  7/16
inch wall    12 ft long  reinforced   with a smaller  7 ft H  and 1.5 inch
steel bar  to gives  strengt just in case,  to this i add another 2 cubical
meters of concrete  5ft deep,  this beam was not at 90 deg, was installed at 75
degrees   (contrary to the pull action of the guys)
i hope to be clear in my installation , this have several years and have no
problems , i sleep well in bad weather.  all the pipes are concrete filled ,  a
single piple will bend tensioning the wires,  double gives good strength  one
behind the other  , other thing i don't mention , i joint my anchor concrete
base to  the wall basement ,  adding extra weight and support in case the
ground gets very wet (extreme case)

i think the over kill is the best to rest and sleep well