Re: [TowerTalk] 80M antenna for KJ7CU

To: "Mark ." <n1lo@hotmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80M antenna for KJ7CU
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:20:15 -0400
> >From your description of what you'd like to do, It seems
to me you'd need a
> low-angle, omnidirectional antenna. I think pursuing a
vertical arrangement,
> as already suggested, would work well, especially since
you already have a
> nice counterpoise system going.

I'll go along with Mark, and add a warning.

If you hang an 80M Inverted Veee dipole or sloper from the
tower it'll screw up the gamma feed you have for sure. Think
of your tower as a big vertical with a top hat (all the
antennas). Now picture what an additional long wire hanging
from it would change. You'd not only be faced with the
the feedpoint or balun of any antenna you hung from that
tower. You have to be careful doing that!!

As a general rule a shunt feed would work on 80, or you
could base feed a 1/4 wl wire that stands off from the tower
against the radial system you already have. That wire could
be an Inverted L for 80 if you can't get the full height. If
it was my tower, I'd probably try the separate 80m wire
first. The reason is towers that are electrically too long
because they have big antennas hanging off the top can give
you some high angle radiation or other bad effects. Your
tower might act almost like a grounded 1/2 wl antenna on 80,
and that might not be good.

73 Tom