[TowerTalk] Motorizing a Crank up

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Motorizing a Crank up
From: Lou <n2tu@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:22:29 -0400
All,

A few months ago I asked the same question...but I still have not arrived at a
solution to my problem....

I want to motorize a LM354E...currently it has a hand winch and it is a bear to
raise....there isn't a gear box on this tower...

A number of people responded with an electirc drill hooked up to a worm gear
winch solution...functional but not what I was looking for...

A few other recommended a 120V winch by Dayton....that that has a free spool
lever which would allow the tower to free spool down.... the safety concerns
got to me...I could see my TH11 come roaring down around me!

There are a number of 120 winches out there...primarily designed for pulling
applications...like the Warn Works
 unit...this unit looks like it could do the job but I was wondering about its
durability hanging on a tower, exposed to the elements.

http://www.warn.com/works/acwinches/1500AC.shtmlhttp://www.warn.com/works/acwinches/1500AC.shtml

So heres the question again...has anyone used this winch...or something similar
to motorize a crank-up....

Any help would be appreciated!....

Lou N2TU