Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor damage prevention: soft pins or simple shockabsorb

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor damage prevention: soft pins or simple shockabsorbers
From: "Mark ." <n1lo@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 15:25:40 -0400
Excellent, Jim,
I hadn't run across a need for those so far in my professional career (as an
M.E.), though it's bound to happen eventually. McMaster-Carr is my favorite
one-stop shop, and I frequenty hot switch to their on-line website to look
up stuff while on CAD (doing it right now on a design project).

Reid Tool Supply is another great one to fine all those ready-made neat
gadgets that you didn't know about until you need one, or until someone with
prior experience like you pops up and says "Oh - you need some of those XYZ
dohickies."

Therein lies the power of a list like this one.

...and until you know the proper name for such a device, it's hard to go
looking it up in a catalog index  !  Somethimes the same device will have
different colloquial names in different catalogs. As you point out, it can
be easier to just thumb through the catalog just to learn what is out there.

--...MARK_N1LO...--

Jim writes:

<< Or, something like standard rubber shock mounts made for mounting
mechanical equipment? They come in various forms with various bolt
configurations, but are
basically either a nut, a bolt, or a sleeve that's encapsulated in some
appropriate substance (rubber, urethane, etc.). Check the stuff starting on
page 1218 in the McMaster-Carr
catalog..http://www.mcmaster.com/
you probably want the ones designed for shear loads.

Like many other things, hams' problems aren't unique, and there's a lot of
stuff out there to help solve it.  That's why the McMaster Carr catalog is
so handy, if you've managed to score a paper one... you can browse through
it and find ideas. Jim, W6RMK >>