Re: [TowerTalk] 160-m Inverted L or Sloper?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160-m Inverted L or Sloper?
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 14:52:06 -0600
Two to three S units is a lot of DBs.  I can only think of two
possibilities that could cause this.  The first, and not very likely, is
that there is something wrong with the inverted L. This is not a
complicated antenna, and this is not likely the cause.  The second is
more likely.  When you have two antennas resonant on the same band, they
interact.  One will act as a reflector for the other.  When you compare
signals from a certain direction, it is possible to get this much
difference. If you then compare the signal strengths for a station in
the opposite direction, you should get a reversal of which antenna is
best.  For 160 meters the spacing required for antennas to not have
significant interaction is very large.  You need at least 500 ft
separation to reduce this maximum gain difference which you may detect
to something like 3.5 dB.

If you still have the antenna, this would be an interesting test.

Receive-only test should be perfectly valid as long as you are comparing
S unit differences on DX stations and not signal to noise ratios.

Jerry, K4SAV