Re: [TowerTalk] Belt Slippage on LM-470 Towers

To: k0dan <k0dan@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Belt Slippage on LM-470 Towers
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 14:27:48 -0500
Thanks, Paul, Dan, Skip, both Daves and Roger.

To answer several questions, I had recently changed to a new belt,
applied grease to the drum via the fitting and changed the gearbox oil.
Frankly, I may have been a little lax about oiling the pulley bearings
on one tower, but I know I had done it recently on the other tower.  I
really don't think the issue is the pulleys or obstructions to the
movement of sections.

Usually, I can get things to work properly by simply retightening the
belt.  In fact, I got it running yesterday and while it was going up
sprayed Belt Dressing on the pulleys.  The slippage immediately began
again.  I think that Belt Dressing is more of a lubricant and seems to
make the problem worse.  The can says it is for the elimination of squeaks.

The idea of reducing the belt size by a half inch makes a lot of sense.
In the past I had blindly replaced the belts with the identical size
that came with the towers.  I bought a shorter belt yesterday and will
try it out on Friday.

Frankly, I had no idea that there was some kind of clutch mechanism
associated with the large pulley.  I knew that the mounting hardware was
unusual, but that information was a revelation.  I'll pay more attention
to it in the future.

I'll let you know how the shorter belt works tomorrow.

73, Joe