Re: [TowerTalk] station grounding question

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] station grounding question
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:19:17 -0500
The complete solution is to put your station entirely in a shielded
room, with conductors on all surfaces.  All power and antenna leads
enter through surge suppressors, etc.  Lightning currents pass on the
outside of the room to ground.  Inside, there are no fields, and you
don't have to worry much about interior grounding.  This may be the
only reliable approach for complex installations.

The hard part about lightning protection is working in and around
existing residential structures.  My "tower" is 20 ft high, sitting
squarely on my roof, for example.  It is connected to our lightning
rod system, but it's clearly not the best design for lightning
protection.

73 Martin AA6E