Re: [TowerTalk] station grounding question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] station grounding question
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:47:27 -0500
Hi Jamie,

No, you didn't hit a nerve.  Its just that use of braid as RF
grounding conductors is a common mistake frequently made by
hams and some professionals.  Prior to the 1980s,
manufacturers of grounding kits intended for use on towers
often used braid instead of stranded grounding conductors.  To
the best of my knowledge, professional tower installers no
longer use braid for grounding conductors.

If you really want to use braid, you might try enclosing it in
heat shrink tubing.  That might apply enough pressure to the
braid crossovers so that they form low resistance joints.  I'm
certain that merely stretching the braid will have no useful long
term effect.

73!
Frank
W3LPL