Re: [TowerTalk] Re-Bar Cage Advise

To: "Gary E. Jones, Ph.D." <garyejones@cmaaccess.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re-Bar Cage Advise
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist (N6RK)" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 13:48:27 -0800
> but I now am trying to
> fabricate a rebar cage for a US Towers HDX-589 MDPL. I had no trouble
> with the others and simply bent the rebar as needed and used mild steel
> wire to tie it all together. They were unwieldy to work with, but not
> particularly heavy and I could work with them.
>
> Its hard for me to understand how this monster will stay together with
> just mild steel ties. I believe that you are really not supposed to have
> these cages welded together, but it is hard for me to imagine that it

We put up an HDX-5106 in a 6 foot diameter circular hole 9 feet
deep.  We simply ordered a round rebar cage from a local rebar
supplier and it arrived all wired together.  There was no problem with
its rigidity as several workers wrestled this thing off the truck and
then lowered it into the hole.  It was definitely heavy.  You need
some husky workman to move it.  They groaned and grunted a lot!
Did you know that there are rebar tie wire twisting tools that allow
you to get the wire really tight? Maybe you are used to just using
pliers to twist the wire.  I have a photo of the cage somewhere.

Rick N6RK