Re: [TowerTalk] dangerous job / accept the risk

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] dangerous job / accept the risk
From: "Barry Fox" <foxbw@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 21:17:22 -0600
TTers;
I used to work for a company that had a contract to provide a
statewide 800MHz system.  Most of the towers were quite tall
(250 - 300 feet) with seperate RX and TX antennas, so the RX
antenna had a tower-mounted pre-amp in a large stainless-steel
box (2'X 3'X 1') which weighed about 75 pounds.  One of these
tower-top amps failed during the day, the tower guys were
called and went right to the sight to replace it.  By then it
was dark and raining, but so what, up they went.  Afterwards
they said it was just part of the job, day or night, rain or
shine, made no difference to them.
Better them than me, I cannot stand on the next-to-the-top step
of a six foot step ladder without being terrified.
Barry - W1HFN