Re: [TowerTalk] ladder line vrs coax

To: "Merlin-7 KI4ILB" <merlin-7@sc.rr.com>,<TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ladder line vrs coax
From: "k0dan" <k0dan@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:46:47 -0600
I'd vote for a flat top dipole as high as you can get it, with ladderline
feed (or a variety of loops, as others have suggested). 300 ohm or 450 ohm
line will be an easier match than 600 ohm. You can bring the ladderline to a
balun, then your tuner. You may have to experiment with different lengths
for the ladderline...1/2 wavelength feedline at lowesat freq is ideal (allow
for velocity factor), avoid 1/4 wavelength.  Also, once in the shack, try to
keep your coax lengths as short as possible as well.

A grounded tuner is less than optimal for keeping open wire line balanced (a
balanced or link coupled tuner is better for this, but you might get by).

Stray pickup by the ladderline should only be a problem if it is seriously
out of balance. If the currents are equal & opposite in both legs, the
feedline line should neither radiate nor pick up signals. Make sure both
dipole elements are the same size and heigh above ground. Avoid proximity to
trees and other objects. Try to have the feedline drop vertically from the
center of the antenna, don't let it run parallel to or get close to the
dipole elements. There is plenty on this topic online and in the various
handbooks.

Goodluck & 73
Dan
K0DAN