Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-500

To: "Barrie Smith" <barrie@centric.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR-500
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 14:48:52 -0500

>I have a pending 1296 application where LMR-600 would be an expensive
>over-kill, and LMR-400 would be too much attenuation.

Some places have stopped carrying the 500 as they have found little demand
for it. That's not to say it isn't worth the money, but most either elect
for the 400 or 600.  Connectors for the 600 are a tad pricy, but not nearly
as bad as retail connectors for Heliax. <:-))

I've been looking at LMR-600 for my 6-meter, 2-meter, and 440 runs as well
as going to LMR-600 flex for the pigtails "on top". These are 230' runs
which make the 600 well worth while to me.

> I'm actually looking for a certain amount of attenuation to reduce the 30
> watts of drive power in the shack  to 10 watts into the tower-mounted
> amplifier.
>
> Looking at LMR-500, it seems to be just about right for the length of the
> run.
>
> Did quite a bit of searching this morning on LMR-500, and came up with a
> bunch of "this page cannot be found" messages, at least regarding the
> connectors for this cable.

Try the Times wire site http://www.timesmicrowave.com/
LMR cables http://www.timesmicrowave.com/wireless/index.shtml
and the LMR-500 PDF at
http://www.timesmicrowave.com/content/pdf/lmr/26-27.pdf

> I'm assuming that, since LMR-500 is 1/2" diameter, that a special
> connector is required?

The PDF should answer most of your questions except price on the connectors.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com