Re: [TowerTalk] HD Over-the-air TV - portable tower

To: "A.J. Farmer (AJ3U)" <farmer.aj@gmail.com>,"Lee Buller" <k0wa@swbell.net>, "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HD Over-the-air TV - portable tower
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 19:44:44 -0500
<snip>

> Since anybody doing Digital ATV would be using a tower for their antenna,
> it's sort of tangentially on topic, but what's truly sad is that there is
> almost ZERO amateur DTV activity in the U.S.   Just try and find a source
> for a amateur DTV exciter.  What tiny amounts of DTV activity there are
> use

We have some ATV in this area and it's expanding into the public service
area working with the EOC. This is bringing up some interesting portable
antennas as we do not have either the space or budgett for those "microwave
dish on a pole" setups the TV stations use.

I'm working on an idea for a *relatively* light, trailer mounted tower. It
only needs to hit about 30 feet.

> an obsolete (but cheap) satellite TV receiver using a modulation
> incompatible with the format used in the U.S. for terrestrial
> broadcasts.  So we have the interesting prospect over the next few years
> of
> every TV being sold with a digital receiver, a great potential resource
> for
> amateurs, but useless because there's no amateur 8VSB transmitter hardware
> out there.
>
> There WAS a source for DVB-T and DVB-S gear for experimenters and amateurs
> in Europe, but last I checked, they had gone away.
>
> Really too bad.. But hey, NTSC analog AM ATV will just be yet another
> archaic mode preserved by amateurs as an interesting hobby and curiosity.

They wan't to get a portable repeater set up for it here, hence the work on
the portable towers that are easily set up.  Of couse they can be used for
Field Day too. <:-))

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com