[TowerTalk] really strange rotor problem

To: "TowerTalk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] really strange rotor problem
From: "FireBrick" <w9ol@billnjudy.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 17:20:04 -0600
I have two rotors, a tailtwister and a standby ham IV.

I have an older Wilson self supporting tower with the rotor mounting plate at
the bottom.

Here's the problem.
Same control box...
The ham IV will turn the tower with no problem, back and forth.
The Tailtwister balks, some times it's turns, some times it stops part way.
It's not a brake issue as I hear the brake release, and it starts turning then
it just
runs out of gas.

It's not an issue with the tower binding as I can remove the rotor and EASILY
TURN the
tower by hand.
I do maintenance twice a year, it has multiple grease fittings on the large
bearing the
tower rotates on.

Same rotor control box, same cable to the milspec connectors on the rotors.
They both indicate the same.
It's just the Tailtwister that has started weakening..

Any suggestions before I open it up?

I've done normal cleanup and bearing lube before.

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

Bill H. in Chicagoland
webcams at http://24.14.49.4:8080
weather at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/w9ol/WX/HH.htm