Re: [TowerTalk] Ground rod connection: Cadweld or ????

To: <ersmar@comcast.net>, "Bob Kellow, W5LT" <W5LT@comcast.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground rod connection: Cadweld or ????
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 08:47:05 -0500
Hi Bob,

Cadwelding, once you know some of the tricks, is dead simple.

Key things to remember are:

1. Matches or other simple flames will not ignite the material. It's
deliberately designed such so that the material is less volatile for
shipping and storage. The sparker RFC sells is designed to cast sparks
forward, as opposed to down, such as with a propane torch spark ignitor.

2. Grind/cut off mushrooming: when the thing says it fits 5/8-inch rod,
that's ALL it fits. The bits spread out by pounding the rod will prevent the
form from sliding on.

3. Secure the wires from movement: the combustion process can exert some
force on the wire, causing it to be ejected from the form. End result,
useless weld. Doesn't need to be much: a brick a foot or so away from the
form preventing the wire from moving is all it would need. The force is
enough a free wire can be cast out, but not so big as to bend the wire.

4. The risk, if there is any, is similar to lighting a barbecue. Don't put
your head over the form and you'll be fine. It's not like you're lighting
fireworks and need to retreat quickly. The ones I did had maybe 3 inches of
flame, and it took a second or two to build to that anyway.

5. Expensive? About $8, as I recall. A ground clamp is about $3, no? So for
an extra $5 you get a maintenance-free connection for life. Not a bad deal.

73, kelly
ve4xt