Re: [TowerTalk] Ground rod connection: Cadweld or ????

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground rod connection: Cadweld or ????
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 09:01:08 -0500
A solution using some kind of cheap clamp with a screw, is more
expensive and requires more skill to install. If you use some kind of
clamp, you have to apply an antioxidant and seal it from moisture.  Then
every few months you have to dig the rod up and retighten the clamps
since they will loosen over time. How much is you time worth?

There are special clamps made for this.
http://www.erico.com/products/HAMMERLOCK.asp
These cost around $4.90 each. These look pretty good, but they will not
be as good as isothermic welding.

Cad-weld one shots seem to be going up in price.  A year ago I paid
$5.65.  They are now $7.66, (part number GT1161LPLUS).
https://www.nettechdi.com/eserv/eclipse.ecl
You might try surfing around for a better price. These are super simple
to install and very quick, no special skill needed. Just be sure and use
a flit starter. Buy the starter at Home Depot if you don't buy theirs.
I didn't even cut the wire when installing these.  I just slipped the
mold down the wire until I got to the right spot. These are bury it and
forget it.

Jerry, K4SAV