Re: [TowerTalk] Big rotators

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Big rotators
From: "Kurt Andress" <k7nv@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:01:13 -0700
Original Message
------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 21:44:57 -0700
From: Dino Darling <dino@k6rix.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com

I just sold a Prop-Pitch motor to Kurt Andress, K7NV, while at
Visalia.  Kurt rebuilds these motors, converts them to rotors and
uses a modified M2 control box.  I've seen his work and he comes
HIGHLY recommended!

http://www.k7nv.com/notebook/ppinfo/
--------------------------------------

Dino, Great to see you in Visalia!

For those interested in such things....
I will be at Dayton this year and will be showing one of my small prop pitch
systems along with the brand new control box I developed with Green Heron to
properly & reliably run these things.
Stop by booth 531 and at least say HI,
Looking forward to seeing everyone this year.!

73, Kurt, K7NV
www.k7nv.com

On another note:
Regarding the slippage problems with the OR2800 mast clamps. The cast teeth on
the clamp jaws are very irregular and won't fit any size cylinder properly.
I've put these jaws on several prop pitch systems. I resurface the jaw teeth to
fit the mast that will be in the clamp.
This can be done with a tube or bar that is the same size as the mast and some
wet-or-dry sandpaper.
This greatly improves the gripping capability of the jaws. I also recommend
that the user pins the mast to this clamp with a grade 8 bolt that is provided.
This works very well because the prop pitch can't be broken, like other
rotators. If the prop pitch is overloaded it will just be driven backwards and
can easily be recalibrated at the control box.
The only guy that I've heard from that actually was able to drive the pp
backwards was turning a 30' dia EME dish.