Re: [TowerTalk] why not regalvanize?

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] why not regalvanize?
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 22:21:30 -0400

> Question:
>
> Does painting over rust ever really *stop*
> the rust or merely cover it over so it
> continues to erode and there is an unexpected
> failure?

It depends on the paint and the condition of the rusted spot.
Some paints claim to chemicaly inhibit the process.  I do think the
Rustoleum (TM) primer that says for rusted metal really does work as long as
the rust has not progressed to the point of having done damage.

I seem to remember a paint referred to as "Cold Galvanizing" that claims to
do the same thing, but I only have experience with the Rustoleum. Even then
with only a few cases the evidence is more anticdotal than conclusive.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com