Re: [TowerTalk] Arc During Lightning Storm

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Arc During Lightning Storm
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 23:33:08 -0000
You are hearing the original lightning protector... the gap between wires in
typical electrical outlets, lamp sockets, switches, etc is so small that
they will arc over at just a couple thousand volts.  This is low enough of a
voltage that during a close strike the induced voltage can be high enough to
cause them to arc over but not be bad enough to actually damage 'normal'
equipment.  It can be enough to take out sensitive phones and modems and
cheap electronics.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net