[TowerTalk] alternate tower grounding technique (question)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] alternate tower grounding technique (question)
From: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 12:23:46 -0700
Greetings fellow TTers,

Some of you have been following my tower building progress on another thread
(Re: [TowerTalk] new AN-Wireless tower, foundation question).  I'm
installing a pad and pier (inverted T) foundation by digging a 9' square
hole and forming a 5x5 pier section and then backfilling over the pad and
around the pier after the forms come off.  I figured I bury a horizontal
ground rod all around the pier as I backfilled, not placed directly on the
concrete pad but 2 or 3 feet below the surface.  I thought I would make the
ground "rod" out of 3/4" copper pipe and in a complete square about 7' on a
side and run a couple heavy cables (or maybe a couple 3/4" soft copper
tubes) up from the buried square of pipe to the tower.

A recent suggestion was to pour almost the entire 9'x9' hole full of
concrete and just form enough of the pier to put a little dirt over the pad
(the big block of concrete) so grass would grow there.  That got me to
wondering... how deep should a horizontal ground rod be placed?  I'm sure it
depends somewhat on the soil, but most people don't know the conductivity of
their soil anyway.

Anyone have a number for the depth of a horizontal ground rod?  See any
problems with my "ground pipe" idea?

Thanks & 73 - JC, K0HPS