Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding base slab and pier tower bases

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding base slab and pier tower bases
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 14:06:06 -0400 (EDT)
Roger,

Have you considered changing replacing your Cat5e network
cable with a fiber optic cable?  Cat5e Media converters are very
inexpensive, as is fiber optic cable.

I run an ARcluster network from my hamshack, with telnet and
RF access.  The antennas for the multiple radios are on two
separate 200 foot towers.

I isolated my home computer network from possible lightning
transients from the ARcluster antennas by installing a media
converter at the ARcluster computer ethernet port and another
media converter at the router port serving the ARcluster
computer.  Inexpensive fiberoptic cable interconnects the media
converters.

It works and the total cost was well under $100 (at eBay prices
for media converters and fiber optic cable).

73!
Frank
W3LPL