Re: [TowerTalk] Question on Multiple Inverted L Antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Question on Multiple Inverted L Antennas
From: wa3afs@inav.net
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 18:09:26 -0400
My coaxial inverted Ls can be thought of as 1/2 of a bazooka.  It is fed by
coax.  At the antenna base the shield of
the feeding coax goes to the center conductor of the RG8X coax of the antenna
and the center conductor goes to
the shield of the antenna.  Some percentage up the coax, the coax is shorted
and the coax is also shorted again at
the top.  My goal when putting this antennas up is to make them as vertical as
possible (Darn--I do not seem to
have any 135 foot trees for 160M, but my 80M, 40M, and 20M coaxial inverted Ls
are just about vertical.

I use ground mounted radials -- as many as possible, but the antennas usually
start 'playing' at 3-4 radials.  My goal
is to have greater than 40 radials on each within the next couple of months.
One way to determine if there are a
decent amount of radials is to measure the SWR when the ground is dry and also
when raining.  If the SWR does
not change between the two, then you are probably getting close to the correct
amount.

This antenna is a super DX antenna

73 Bruce