Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum radials

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Aluminum radials
From: "KA9OFM John Garrett" <ka9ofm@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 13:41:05 -0500
Unfortunately the chromite conversion coating does not give aluminum any
more hardness. Plus the cost factor may not be worth it. Then again it all
depends on the intended use. A ground radial system does not need to be of a
hard metal. There also are a variety of aluminum products available that are
reasonably priced such as 6061-T6 which offer a high degree of corrosion
resistance, but it's downside is it only being 2/3 as strong as 2024-T3
Both of these are widely using in aircraft.

I have no idea what the longevity of 6061-T6 would be if it were buried, but
I'd almost bet that it would hold up for a very long time if it were solid
rods instead of tubing.

Every material is prone to break down eventually. I helped a fellow with a
ground radial system back around 77 and it was made from 1/2" rebarb that is
used in concrete roads. His system is still working today. Back then copper
was cheap and it would have been preferable but he got the rebarb for free
so you can't argue with the economics of that.

John, KA9OFM