Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran vibration damping?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran vibration damping?
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 23:54:54 -0400

>I thought there has been previous discussion on this?  I've not been able
> get the right key words to get a match in the archives.....  My tower
> sounds

The length of your guy lines, their size, and tension is making at least one
of them resonant in the audio frequency range.

> like a violin in during big winds and it's time to fix it.

Take a piece of air hose with an ID that is the same as the OD of the
Phillystran (You'll have to experiment to get the proper length, but I'd
start with 5 or 10 feet), split the hose engthwise and then slip it over the
offending guy line.   Tape or glue it in place.  You only need a piece long
enough to disrupt the resonance and the most effective location is probably
going to be around half way between the guy anchor and the point where it
ataches to the tower.  You may find that evena quarter of the distance out
will be enough to do the job.

Good Luck,

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com