Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding the tower..alternatives

To: <Cqtestk4xs@aol.com>, <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding the tower..alternatives
From: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 11:16:50 -0700
I'm using copper tubing, run inside garden hose while above ground, for my
tower grounding "straps."  I usually do the same thing (flatten the ends and
make large terminal lugs out of them), but where corrosion might be a
problem, like on battery busses, I've been tinning the copper "terminals"
with tin/lead solder.  I'm wondering if this will be good for connection to
the tower?  I know there are terminals (bonding lugs) designed to make this
connection.  Looking at some of the catalogs it appears they are made of all
sorts of metals.  I see bronze, electro tin plated bronze, and aluminum
(which is probably intended for aluminum wire).  There are also
electroplated tinned copper lugs and unplated copper flat strap clamps,
which are designated as tower grounding components (Harger catalog).  Banjo
clamps of tinned bronze are also shown specifically for attachment to
lattice towers.  Surface area in contact with the tower and in contact with
the conductor appears to be a primary consideration.  UL 96 Standard for
Lightning Protection Components says a minimum of 1.5 in. of conductor must
be secured within the connector, and also that 1.5 in. of surface contact
between conductor and ground rod is required.  Obviously, bonding surface
area between the lug and the tower is important but I didn't see a minimum
specified.

It wouldn't be too difficult to fold and crimp the ends of the copper tube
so that it would fit inside these commercial terminals just like a heavy
gauge wire would, but it seems to be a better connection to the tower if the
intermediate piece (the lug) was eliminated and the ground strap (the copper
tube) secured directly to the tower (better continuous conductor surface
area and fewer mechanical connections).  What does the collective wisdom
here think?  Attach the bare copper strap directly to the galvanized tower,
attach the tinned strap directly to the tower, or use some sort of
intermediate lug?

Thanks & 73 - JC, K0HPS