Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: [SteppIR] 3El height

To: Al Williams <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: [SteppIR] 3El height
From: Martin Ewing <aa6e@ewing.homedns.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:34:48 -0400
Al,

Your summary of how yagis work is substantially correct.  If you want to
really understand and predict how antennas work, you need a lot more
than "trigonometry".  It's one of the most complicated parts of
classical Electricity & Magnetism, in my experience.  (As an ancient PhD
in physics.) The good news is that there are lots of rules of thumb and
design guides that get you the results you need for practical ham antennas.

I can ramble on a little...

Changing the element dimensions can change the patterns, in both planes
(vertical and horizontal).  Just for example, if you adjust the director
& reflector lengths way off resonance, you are left with only the driven
element carrying significant current, which will produce the pattern of
a simple dipole.  In free space, the patterns will be symmetrical above
and below horizontal.  Realistic installations get reflections and
absorption with the ground and any nearby stuff.  Changing the element
dimensions will broaden or narrow the free space pattern, but it will
always be symmetrical.

For a particular QSO path, the only "useful" power is the power radiated
at the particular takeoff angle that gets to the other end of the link.
You want to maximize that, and it's possible that detuning the vertical
pattern will help in some cases.  Likewise, it may help to raise (or
lower) the antenna, if you can,  to change the ground reflections.

When you twiddle the lengths of a SteppIR at a particular frequency, you
are mainly changing the phase of the currents flowing in the elements.
The antenna pattern you see in the far field (at the other guy's
antenna) will always be the vector sum of the fields produced by all the
yagi's element currents.  The hard part of the calculation is to figure
out what those currents and phases are going to be, because everything
interacts with everything else...

Why does a dipole have gain and directivity?  A simple perspective is
that "currents cause radiation".  If you look at a dipole end-on from
some distance away, you will not "see" any current flow (projected on
the plane perpendicular to the line of sight) -- it's all toward and
away from you.  If you look broadside, you see maximum current.  So, you
might expect the fields would be proportional to the "projected length"
of the dipole at any angle - i.e., like the cosine of the angle off
broadside.  Power goes like cosine**2, which is a pretty good fit to
reality.

The fact that radiation off the ends is reduced means that broadside
radiation is increased -- i.e., you have gain.  It's easiest to think in
terms of a transmitter -- the power has to go somewhere.

Hope this helps.

73 Martin AA6E