Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Run To Tower

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Run To Tower
From: "Tom McAlee" <tom@klient.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 18:26:09 -0400
W3LPL covered the coax question.  But, here is a suggestion about the
switch:  put it at the base of the tower!

We learned that lesson the hard way during WPX CW this year in the KD4D @
N3HBX M/2 effort.  There is one feedline running to each of the four 200'
rotating towers, with a switch on each tower.

One of the switches fried and we could not select any antenna on the tower
that has the 2el 80m yagi and the 7/7/7 15m stack.  The switch was at the
140' level.  Had it been closer to the ground, we would have been easily
able to replace it with a backup (if available) or at least bypass it with a
barrel connector to select an antenna.

A switch near ground level is not only quicker to fix, but doing so is not
dependant on daylight or nice weather.  You'll appreciate it when Murphy
makes his contest-weekend visits!

73,
Tom, NI1N