Re: [TowerTalk] Mast size/material for stacking not-so-big beams

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mast size/material for stacking not-so-big beams
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 07:11:57 -0400 (EDT)
Allen,

To get useful stacking gain from a 4 element SteppIR and a small 10 meter Yagi,
you would need to install you 10 meter beam at least 18-20 feet above the
SteppIR.   In all likelyhood, if your tower is not strong enough for a MonstIR,
its also not strong enough to be extended 20 feet without significant risk of
tower failure.

Your tower might be strong enough to safely install a second small Yagi five
feet above your SteppIR (that analysis is up to your PE).  That would give you
the flexibility to point in a different direction if that's valuable to you.
Don't set the the SteppIR on the same band, because the short spacing distance
would degrade both antennas when they're tuned to the same band.

Your initial post did'nt mention that you're planning to add a tall mast and
additional antennas to a crank-up tower.  Adding a tall mast and heavy antenna
loads to a crank-up is risky business, not uncommonly resulting in tower
failure.  Engineering analysis of your new installation is essential to its
safety and endurance.

73!
Frank
W3LPL