[TowerTalk] Anodized Aluminum Tower

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Anodized Aluminum Tower
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:57:12 -0700
Folks:

I picked up some years ago, a US Coast Guard  anodized aluminum  vertical
radiator that stood for decades next to the ocean.  It is incredibly
versatile, mostly due to its exteme lightness.  It stood on a large Lapis
conical base insulator, was about 90 ft, guyed,  with 10 ft bolt-together
triangluar sections, of about 10" face width.   Each section has 2 ea bolt
holes, about 9/16" dia  in each face or 6 per joint, when put together
vertically.  The  sections have  a horizontal aluminum angle flange from
corner to corner  that has bolt holes to join to the next section, flange to
flange.  I'll try to take some pics tomorrow.

My question is, if I use conventional high strength  bolts and heavy washers
to join sections, I may have dissimilar metals issues that will weaken the
joint, eventually making the 'tower' no longer sound.  It does not and will
not support any significant weight or large antenna, possibly just a small
VHF or UHF Yagi,  or vertical whip.  It also will not be climbed, even
though one side of the 3 sides has cross members that originally functioned
as steps.
Any ideas on how to eliminate electrolysis betweent the aluminum and the
steel bolts?

73, DX, de Pat AA6EG aa6eg@hotmail.com;
                  Skype:  Sparky599