Re: [TowerTalk] THANKS MIKE! RE: something *really*completelydifferent..

To: "K6XN" <k6xn@comcast.net>,"'Mike, K6BR'" <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] THANKS MIKE! RE: something *really*completelydifferent..andsimple... (True North)-
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 08:53:45 -0700
At 04:55 PM 8/26/2006, K6XN wrote:
>Mike
>
>I absolutely agree with your advice to those on the east coast and others
>having a negative magnetic declination. I apologize for the unintended
>possible confusion. Thanks also for the URL to find declination by zip code
>and date! I tried it and it turns out I have been off by 2.5 degrees all
>these years!!!  :-)  73, Ted, K6XN

May not have been off "all those years", because the magnetic pole is
moving, and as a result, the declination is changing (especially in the
last 15 years).  Here in Southern California, it's about a degree every 10
years, as I recall.

This also means it's something to be aware of when using "online" sources..
you need to check what the age of the data source is.  The URL given
actually can tell you what the declination is for a given date, and is up
to date.  I have seen some other declination sites that appear to be using
an old printed map as their data source.