Re: [TowerTalk] CONCRETE CURING

To: NØATH <n0ath@charter.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CONCRETE CURING
From: "AA6DX - Mark" <aa6dx@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 19:39:51 -0700
Howdy TTers ..
BACK WHEN -- B4 age, arthritis, neuropathy, weight, eyesight, etc..... 60s.
70s, 80s ....Many many towers up .. foundation on Friday, or like that, when
the concrete trucks were available  (methinks there was a premium if you
insisted on Saturday delivery .. n'est-ce-pas?) --then, tower party the next
weekend .. Saturday, or Sunday (sometimes BOTH) ..  but of course, not with
a hurricane a blowin' ... usually, tower up Saturday, antenna system
completed Sunday .. .never a prob .. rust on rebar was to be ignored.... (I
was even a hoddy for one summer... ouch!) ..  and, no rebar welding .. just
wired the cage together, as was told to do .. had the cage bent, pre-wired
by the pros .. usually fell apart somewhat before it was settled in the hole
..  just put it back together.  NO forms for the "hole" ... just the top,
and those were made rigid, so as to hold the cross supports to level the
tower base.  YOU MUST make sure the concrete in the hole has all air holes
removed, and that it settles nicely ..  for small towers, even a 2x4 works
.. then, having set aside some watered down `crete, keeping it from setting,
a while after the tower was poured, used it to make a nice cap (grout) ..
even messed with some mastic, etc... but no real improvement doing that ...
Steve's rules generally worky worky ...
Now, for the Sabre tower/Log Periodic I erected at Fort Wainwright, AK
(Fairbanks) .. the specs called for a longer set-up time, darned if I can
remember, but ended up putting the last part of the monster together in the
snow .. drop a bolt, nut, or any other small part, and ... well, you can
guess.   Used words I did not know I knew!  Last heard, it's still standing,
15 years later...   73, y'all  Mark Nelson  -  AA6DX