Re: [TowerTalk] WSJ: Home copper thefts rise

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] WSJ: Home copper thefts rise
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 02:03:03 -0400
Look at 3/4" copper pipe at between $2.00 and $3.00 USD a foot and last time
I checked a 250 foot box of 10-2 or 12-2 (forget which) was about $130.
OTOH almost every inch of pipe in the house is plastic except for a short
run of black iron for gas to the furnace.

Let's face it, unless your name is written on the pipe and coax once a foot
the stuff is basically untracable. OTOH the penalties of caught are no
longer for petty larceny.

Addressing the "hotwiring": It's a dangerous practice for the one doing the
hotwiring as it's viewed here in the states much as is a "set gun", which
leads to one of those "I can't belive they did that" stories.

An older couple out in I believe either Iowas of Kansas had a number of
breakins.  It seemd as if the thieves knew when they would be gone. So the
guy tied a shotgun to the window where the thieves had been getting in.
They got back from a short trip and sure enough they'd caught one.  Cops
hauled him off, he was found guilty and sentenced for breaking and entering.
BUT and I don't remember if it was the crook or family that sued the old
coulple for injury and they won.  The crook did his time and wound up owning
the old couple's farm.  They basically lost everything.

However, here in Michigan although "set guns", booby traps, and the like are
illegal, we have a "right to carry" law and they just changed the self
defense requirements to meaning any time you think you are in mortal danger
you may use deadly force. Used to be you had to be able to prove you did
every thing possible to escape, but no more.  We may be old, but my wife's a
better shot than I am and has less patience and a propensity to ask fewer
questions too.

OTOH if you used something like an electric fence connected to a metal door,
it'd bite real good, but they might not have a sense of humor.

BTW, I work out in my shop quite late every night.  It's almost 2:00 AM and
I'm just headed out.  If you should stop by...Kock loudly and introduce
yourself, but let me open the door<:-)) OTOH there is very little out there
worth any one stealing any way.  No valuable stuff like airplane instruments
or copper or Aluminum
out there. The Aluminum is 100 to 130 feet in the air. Not something they'd
want to tackle at night.  Just the fiberglass fuselage, cloth, resin, and
some small parts that by them selves are worth little, but it would be a
large anoyance and inconvenience to have to replace them.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com (Use return address from home page)