Re: [TowerTalk] [Boatanchors] Base for tower

To: WØQFC <erastber@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Boatanchors] Base for tower
From: Run <w8ron@stratos.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 22:54:07 -0400
I did essentially the same thing you are trying putting up my "Dover "
tower.
Dover is also no longer in business.

When you pull a permit , you should be required to meet tower location
and engineering design requirements.
If you are a homeowner , the planner will look at your initial plans and
make recomendations about the tower engineering.  If you are a
contractor , forget getting any help.

I first had to assume that Dover designed the tower to meet structural
design and followed Rhon suggestions for section width and height.   My
tower is self supporting and 65 feet heigh with the first sections 18
inches , then 14 inches then finally 11 inches.
I used information from Rhon for the base and looked over some Civil
engineering books to identify the required base for my soil conditions.
I also used Rhon for the steel type and then went through the mechanical
engineering calculations to figure the yeild strength of the one leg by
measuring the leg diameter and thickness.  Stress was calculated with
the tower linearly loaded with 1/2 inch of ice in an 80 MPH wind.  Eash
sq foot applys 20 pounds force in an 80 MPH wind.  Whatever force was
left over allowed for antenna loading or antenna area so you know what
you can safely put up without exceeding the design.  I just wrote in the
drawings that the antenna area was not to exceed this limit.

The planner accepted it all except he required me to place a 10 inch
weld on the 1 inch rod that would attach to the tower legs where I
calculated 8 inches.  Hi comment was that the force is applied through
the center of the rod and therefore the weld was offset by half of the
bar diameter and created a torsional load on the weld that was not
accounted.  We change the 8 to a 10 and it all passed....tower is up and
most importantly, my house insurance covers any tower liability because
I have a valid permit!,

Yes , it's possible for a laymen to research and do these type of things
and the planner who passed the engineering prints is a P.E.
I am just a dumb E.E. who took a strength of materials course along the way.
---
Ron