Re: [TowerTalk] Building a "little pistol" contest station and theC-31XR

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Building a "little pistol" contest station and theC-31XR
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 23:22:46 +0000
N4GI was asked:

> > > Which is why I ask about whether you intend to use 2 radios at
> > > once
> > > (I guess you do, with your SO2R questions), in which case, there
> > > might be "better" ways to solve the problem.  (two different
> > > single
> > > band antennas stacked and separated by a 10 feet might be cheaper
> > > than all the filters you'll need with the tightly coupled C31XR)
> >
> >I tried this....
> >
> >After toiling with the mechanical (wind load!) complexities of how to
> >mount three separate 10-15-20 yagis at reasonable separation distances
> >on a city lot, I found that I was not only dealing with the RX
> >interference problems, but nasty radiation pattern problems as well.  I
> >then put a C31 up and went to town with SO2R.
>
>And how do you solve the isolation problem?

In SO2Ring a 5-band LBQ, a C-3E/A & now a wire
yagi (homebrew DF4SA) - I only use BPFs.

Other than close to harmonics, I can still hear
pretty well.

2m above the wire yagi is a SteppIR dipole
(parallel to the "boom") & about 30 cm off its tip
is an HF2V - everything is squeezed on to 8 x 9m
roof.

The yagi's drivers are ~40 cm apart at best, with
the tips even closer.

More than 400 watts & BPFs alone will not suffice.
Fusing is a good idea - I have popped some diodes
in the front end of a rig due to BPFs not being selected
(K7PUC's concern).  I obviously run without fuses.  ;^)

73, VR2BrettGraham