Re: [TowerTalk] Matching ladder-line fed linear loaded dipole

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Matching ladder-line fed linear loaded dipole
From: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 20:18:10 -0700
Hi Tom

I have the same type of antenna I use while camping.  It is about 100 feet
of wire fed with some 300 TV twinlead.  It works really well, but one thing,
you do need to have a good ground.  I have just used a big, long screwdriver
stuck in the ground.  Not the best, but it helps a whole lot getting rid of
the stray RF.  I also use a hose clamp to hook the grounto the water pipe if
the campground I camp in has water hookups.  I know a lot of them use PVC
underground, but the steel pipe does go into the ground.  Without the
ground, I get all sorts of RF floating around in everything.  While you
might not be able to get the best ground while camping, anything will help.
73
Tom W7WHY