Re: [TowerTalk] Remotely controlled stations

To: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Remotely controlled stations
From: "WA3GIN" <wa3gin@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 08:55:28 -0400
CELLCOs don't use really under rated UPS...they use UPS to carry the system
through short outages and to keep the garbage that is normally on the grid
out of the switches and radios.  The systems are not designed to provide
long term outages. In those locations where they want to provide long term
outages they install generators. Typically, the CELLCOs will work with the
local gov. to determine the critical areas of service and those serving
sites are designed to provide that level of service.

A 100 watt SSB transceiver will operate for many many hours on an RV or
Marine battery and can usually be keep charged with a solar cell charging
system.  If I had a remote location that didn't have electricity and I was
planning to operate just a few hours a day I would go with the battery/solar
cell charger approach.

73,\
dave
wa3gin