[TowerTalk] Balun on a vertical

To: "T talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Balun on a vertical
From: "Dan Hearn" <dhearn@air-pipe.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 08:02:57 -0700
"Since a vertical always has this basic lack of symmetry, there is no way
to connect a feedline directly to the antenna without setting up
common-mode currents that will make the feedline radiate. A coax-fed
vertical always needs some kind of device to prevent the outer surface
of the coax behaving as an unwanted part of the antenna."

We know that buried radials are affected by the soil around them to the
extent that they are not capable of being resonated. It seems to me that a
buried feedline would not need a choke to stop current on the shield outer.
Anyone agree or disagree?

Dan, N5AR