Re: [TowerTalk] Stringing dipoles?

To: "Eugene Hertz" <ehertz@tcaf.org>, TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stringing dipoles?
From: wa3afs@inav.net
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 10:43:09 -0500
Hmmm,
I think that an additional rope would work ok AS LONG AS the rope remained dry.
 Most antennas prefer to be away
from conductive surfaces.  Water and ice/snow tend to have some conductive
properties until totally distilled and I
have never seen any distilled stuff falling from the sky!

Also you would be putting additional stress on the center insulator thingy
(especially when the rope was wet).  Water
starts to get heavy when maintained in absorbant materials like rope!

Antennas in trees are always subject to a lot of variable stresses.  I just
'live' with it (I use coaxial inverted Ls in my
trees and plan on replacing them every couple of years with the ones that cross
multiple trees (160M) being the
ones that have the shortest life expectancy.  I also use a bungy cord at one
end to take up some of the slack when
the wind blows...but I find that the bungy cords also have a short life so I
try to inspect them every couple of weeks.

The coaxial inverted Ls do not seem to mind being close to the trees.  I see
not differences when the trees are wet
or when the leaves are on or off.

I have a pair of 160M, a pair of 75M, a 4-square on 40M and on 20M.  These have
only been up a maximum of 6
months at this QTH, but experience at other QTHs with this type of antenna
gives me a good idea of the effects of
stress.

73 and good luck

   --  Bruce, WA3AFS