Re: [TowerTalk] Stringing dipoles?

To: <wa3afs@inav.net>, "Eugene Hertz" <ehertz@tcaf.org>,<TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stringing dipoles?
From: "mryan001" <mryan001@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 11:13:29 -0400
Not too many years ago I lived outside of Washington on a 5.5 acre lot in
the Virginia countryside.  I had huge oak trees around such that you could
not see the 5 towers I had unless you were literally in the driveway.  I
used a CAROLINA WINDOM II as one of the wire antennas between two of the
towers. The support rope was strung between two of the towers at 150ft.
Something to note: No matter what you do, even with NO weight on the nylon
or dacron rope it is going to sag. You can put enough pulling power on it
that it breaks and it's still going to have some sag before it does. But
here is what I did to get the antenna flat. I used the screw eye on top of
the center insulator ( or off center insulator if you will )and raised the
center insulator as high as I could get it....I put as much strain on it as
I dared. The insulator was still about 15 ft or so lower than the top of the
tower as I recall.  You have to remember that you are not only raising that
insulator but the 450ohm or 300ohm feed line AND the matching transformer
AND the coax that is going to feed the whole thing.  With all that wire,
insulators, coax, etc the entire affair weighs quite a bit.  Anyway, when
the strain is applied to the center insulator and you have it up as high as
you can, you will have created the fixed height for the antenna. At that
point I raised the ends of the dipole to a point on each of the two towers
where the dipole was/is as flat as possible. As far as the nylon or dacron
or whatever I was using...I cannot remember.  But I will tell you this, that
the nylon gets very, very tight.  It looks like fat dental floss and I dare
say that it might get a little wet but in mid air and that tight I don't
think it is going to hold much moisture. The cord is just too tight I think
to hold much.  I wish I had the space to put something like that up here in
Florida.  Palms don't get that high here or lightning has something to say
about it. Good luck with your installation.-- Mike K4CVL