Re: [TowerTalk] Am I asking for trouble? - tower loading

To: "jknodel M Knodel" <jknodel@msn.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Am I asking for trouble? - tower loading
From: "Dan Hearn" <dhearn@air-pipe.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 11:59:38 -0700
Crank up towers using manual winches do not like to lower when strong winds
are blowing. The weight of the sections is not great enough to overcome the
binding forces between sections. Most if not all motor driven winch towers
use power pull down cables to help retract them. It is a very scary thing
when you are lowering your crank up and the wind force causes one or more
sections to stick. The cable goes slack until the wind lets up then down the
sections come with a thump. Mighty hard on the cables.
73. Dan, N5AR