Re: [TowerTalk] Am I asking for trouble? - tower loading

To: 'Dan Hearn' <dhearn@air-pipe.com>,'jknodel M Knodel' <jknodel@msn.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Am I asking for trouble? - tower loading
From: VE6WZ_Steve <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 13:20:54 -0600
Assuming one has installed a crank-up tower with a motor drive...it
confounds me why anyone would leave the tower up at all unless they are
QRV.

I use the US tower HDX-589 mdpl and NEVER leave the tower up unless I`m
QRV...why would I ??  The tower only takes about 4 min. to crank to full
height with the flick of a switch, so why not leave it down until you
turn on the radio ?? (I`ll probably get lots of e-mails from those who
DO have reasons why, but it works for me)

I highly recommend against buying a crank-up without a motor
drive...these things are big and would not be easy to crank by hand.

I do have a windspeed indicator with the readout at the radio, and if
the wind picks up, the tower is either coming down part way, or all the
way and I QRT. (my tower is NOT overloaded, but I just feel better)

73, de steve ve6wz. http://www.qsl.net/ve6wz/