Re: [TowerTalk] [SPAM] KT-34 XA Problems

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [SPAM] KT-34 XA Problems
From: "Jim Walker" <jim@walkersdomain.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:08:34 -0500
Lee,

You didn't say whether you have EVER checked or changed the capacitor caps.
That antenna was/is notorious for having cracked capacitor caps, thus
allowing water to enter.  That will most certainly cause the symptoms
described.  The other issue with that antenna, especially of that age, is
there are so many aluminum to aluminum surfaces coming together that
oxidation is/can be a problem.  As well, loose connections are also suspect
with that antenna.

Unfortunately, your options are few.  Bring the antenna down for a complete
overhaul or, yes, the obvious other option.  BTW, you may already know that
M2 has a complete kit you can purchase for that antenna.

I've owned the 4-element as well as the big, six element KLM tribander and
they are/were great performing antennas.  But they are also one of the most
troublesome ever built.

Good Luck,

Jim
KB0X