Re: [TowerTalk] KT-34 XA Problems

To: <RTTYMAN@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] KT-34 XA Problems
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 18:26:55 -0400
My KT-34 XA was originally the KT-34X with the older aircraft cable over
head struts.   I have replaced the caps three times in mine and also found
the straps loose on some of the elements.  One additional thing to look at
is the fiberglass insulators used in the element halves.  I found most to
have turned black over time and one or two started to shread.  I replaced
them all!

I hope your KT 34XA has the 1985 modification as that is required for 15 to
really work right.

The suggestion of now upgrading to the 36XA configuration is a good one
especially if you cannot get the antenna back into the amateur bands.

Here is what I have now as I just did a lot of work last year on mine.

10 meters   1.5 at 28050    1.3 at 28.5    1.7 at 29 Mhz
15 meters   1.1 at 21.025   1.4 at 21.3    1.9 at 21.445
20 meters   1.6 at 14.025    1.2 at 14.3    1.6 at 14.345

Front to back varies from 5 DB at band ends to 20 DB on 10 at best.
Averages  12 to 15 DB across 20 and 15.  No antenna tuner is needed and no
SWR down turn on any of my rigs.  I do have three tuners but don't use with
the 34XA.  You push the limit of the original balun on RTTY with 1.5KW.
Suggest you get a balun from K6NA (Aztec as I recall) which has a much
bigger rating.

Good luck on all the work.

73 Dave K4JRB