Re: [TowerTalk] Old Copperweld Wire

To: "Mike W2LO" <rfman45@hotmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Old Copperweld Wire
From: "Chuck O'Neal" <cdoneal@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 19:51:07 -0400
Throw it out.  As soon as the steel is showing, it will rust quickly and
break.  Wrapping wire around it and even soldering will not restore the
original strength.  I've used lots of this stuff on various wire arrays.
You want at least 30% and preferably 40% copper clad wire.  Copper plated
wire should not be used, since the plating is only thousandths of an inch
thick, totally useless for antenna wire under tension.

If anyone knows where to get good 7 strand #12 or #10 phosphor bronze wire,
let me know!

Chuck..K1KW