[TowerTalk] More 80 meter ideas?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] More 80 meter ideas?
From: "Stone, Gary R." <Gary.Stone@va.gov>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 09:12:09 -0500
Greetings,

First, thanks for the input on my question about using various wire
antennas for a temporary setup for 80 meters.  I am still sorting out
what to try.

Now I am specifically seeking input on 2 other options.  (both of which
would be permanent)

First, I have the Alpha Delta Sloper up and running (Alpha Delta DX-A)
and it works only marginal on 80 and 160 meters.  Now, my question is
your opinion on the DX-A as compared to Butternut HF-2V?

So, here is the 2 choices at present I am seeking ideas about
performance.  In both cases I am interested in long haul DX (I am in
Texas and looking to work zones 23,24, 26 and that area - on 80 meters)
and I need lots of zones on 160 meters.  The two choices:

** The DX-A mounted at 50 feet on the tower slopping off to a height of
about 30 feet on the 80 meter leg and to about 15 feet on the 160/80
leg.  (I have worked about 120 dxcc on 80 with this and 61 dxcc on 160
meters).

OR

** The Butternut HF-2V with 160 meters coil - installed on the ground
with say 32 radials about 50 feet or so each.

Ideas about suspected performance of the 2 above choices greatly
appreciated.

A last side question is about the HF2V.  I have read somewhere that
there is a modification that is generally done to that antenna to boost
performance on 160 meters.  But I think it hurt the performance on 80 or
40 meters - or both?  I would not care about 40 meters as I have a 3
element beam on 40 meters.  But if there is a mod that improves both 80
and 160 on the HF2V that would be interesting?

Thanks for your thoughts on this reflector - it has helped me greatly.

Gary, N5PHT