Re: [TowerTalk] More 80 meter ideas?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] More 80 meter ideas?
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:44:01 -0500
The HF2V mod for 160 meters is nothing more than longer top loading
wires (which kills 40 meter performance). Look at the manual.

For an HF2V with four 25 ft top loading wires sloping away at a 45
degree angle, 32 radials 50 ft long, expect a gain somewhere around -7
dBi at a take off angle of 25 degrees on 160 meters.

An Alpha Delta DX-A is half sloper (quarter wave sloping wire) and it
uses a loading coil. Half slopers are an alternate way of feeding your
tower as a vertical. The performance can vary from very good to lousy
depending on how the tower is configured. Since the tower is the primary
radiator, it should be treated as such. It's a matter of luck as to how
much ground current is induced at the base of the tower. If depends on
the amount of top loading and height of the attachment point. To
guarantee best performance the tower should have a ground radials system
and the shields of all wires exiting the tower should be connected at
the base where the radials connect. Tower guy wires should be insulated.
The matching network can be tricky.  Feedpoint impedance will vary
depending on tower configuration, length of sloper wire, and attachment
point height.  Resonant frequency depends on the same parameters, so it
can be a juggling act.

Slopers are a real pain to adjust and make operate efficiently, but if
you succeed it should outperform the HF2V by a significant amount.

In the previous post you said you don't want to shunt feed the tower,
but this post you say that you are already using the Alpha Delta, so
it's close to the same thing. Performance should be about the same too.
Slopers don't produce more than about 2 dB front to back.

Jerry, K4SAV