Re: [TowerTalk] fullwave loop through trees

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] fullwave loop through trees
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 15:00:20 -0500

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 14:01:03 -0400, "Pat Chiles"
 <chilesp@adelphia.net> wrote:
>Has anyone done this before, without insulators, and did the antenna give
expected results?
>Thanks,

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------
By "without insulators" if you mean the loop wire is touching the tree
itself, you are asking for trouble. Trees have been set on fire by
arcing from antennas, even at relatively low power levels. The amount
of voltage present at a node might amaze you.  If you can suspend the wire
well away from branches, etc, it should work ok.
Bill, W6WRT

------------REPLY FOLLOWS ---------------
I agree Bill, having had the dead fronds of a Palm tree touch the end of a
Carolina Windom.  The result was a complete Palm tree fire within 5 minutes
of operating at 400 watts on 80 meters. It was spectacular and could be seen
for a mile.  Incidentally the tree survived surprisingly, I learned my
lesson the hard way.  Mike, k6br

----------- Hitchhiking addition -----------

I've had PE insulated Carolina Windoms through trees for almost 15 years
now,
running 1 kw, and been reasonably fortunate.  Trees were all high pines,
maples
oaks, and tulip poplars.  Just laid the wire over the branches, and hoped
for
the best.

HOWEVER...it is clear I was living on borrowed time, due to abrasion and UV
degradation.  In NJ, I had a 40m GP, mounted at 50' in a maple tree...with
4 insulated radials draped down through the branches.  Running an sb220,
with
maybe 800w out.  My neighbor used to phone with some regularity and great
amusement,
to advise that "you're burning the tree again".   What I was burning was the
insulation
off the wire, for the most part...but also stray leaves and twigs.  Maples
are harder to
start burning than palm fronds, fortunately.

Short form:  It's not a great idea, but if you use insulated wire, it'll
work for a while.
And it beats being off the air.

n2ea