Re: [TowerTalk] 75m wire beam

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 75m wire beam
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 09:28:39 -0800
Is it worth it?  I was thinking along the same lines except that I don't
have a silo and my objective was to get into Canada maritime qth for
sweepstakes contest. That was a few years ago and I didn't attempt it!  here
is why:

I modeled it with EZNEC and it shows several variables that made it too much
trouble for me.

Although some gain can be achieved at that low height, it is only around a
db.  The gain drops off a little if the parasitic element length changes
and/or if it is not parallel to the driven element.  The apex angle also has
an effect.  The input impedance is changed so that while the SWR loss at
that low frequency may be small, the transmitter may cut back on power.

As mentioned in a responders posting the gain will change as the frequency
is changed and may even reverse direction.  Depending on the initial
placement/lengths of the elements the gain may be in the opposite direction
of that desired.

It appears that you are on a farm and your farmers work in the winter is nil
(ha, ha), then it will keep you occupied?

k7puc