[TowerTalk] lead free solder

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] lead free solder
From: Craig Clark <jcclark@wildblue.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 08:49:46 -0500
I have been "playing" with Kester 331 which is a 96.5% tin, 3% silver
and .5% copper and find it works ptty much the same as lead based solder.

However, the biggest diameter I can find is .31 as opposed to the
Kester .61 lead/tin I use for connectors. You'll have to use more
solder and be careful with heat application when soldering PL259's so
you don't melt the cable.

There really is no need to use solder on ground radials if you use
Burndy nuts or some of the other form of electrical/mechanical
attachment and weather proof them after they are connected.

One I have is used to add neutrals or grounds to a service panel. It
is an Al bar with 18 holes and 15 screws (three holes are used to
connect to the box.) Use 14 of the holes to secure ground radials and
the 15th connected by a bus wire to the tower. I would then weather
seal it using tape, Scotch-kote or liquid tape.

Burndy nuts work well too. You lay the wires in the nut and then a
tower buss wire and tighten the mandrel. Then weather proof the same as above.

Two cheap, simple and effective ways to connect ground radials to a tower.

73, Craig Clark, K1QX

RADIOWARE AND RADIO BOOKSTORE
PO  BOX 209
RINDGE NH 03461