To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 47, Issue 18
From: Peter Dougherty <w2irt@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 00:41:05 -0500
At 10:57 PM 11/06/2006, Tim Duffy K3LR <k3lr@k3lr.com> wrote:

>I am not a fan of crimping flexible coax (how do you squeeze something that
>gives and is not rigid?).

That was my concern for a while until I saw one put on at Dayton like
this last year. Essentially what's happening is the braid is
sandwiched between the outer crimpable sleeve and the inner solid
metal body of the connector. When the proper crimping tool is used,
it exerts even pressure all the way around the connector for about
3/8 of an inch or so. The dielectric can't be crushed or deformed in
any way because of the solid construction of the connector body (the
bit that slides between the dielectric and the braid). If you're
attempting to crimp with a pair of pliers or vice grips, though, I'd
agree -- disaster would surely loom.

Cheers,

Peter,
W2IRT